Over the summer I had an abundance of calendula flowers, and I dried many of them to make my favorite salve or lotion. Now that my garden requires less of me I have time for creating my lotions. Here’s how to make your own with just a candle warmer or very small pot.
Calendula Anti-Inflammatory Skin Lotion /Salve
- First start with the infusion oil
- Infusion Oil for Calendula salve
- In PINT jar place dried calendula flowers about 3/4 full
- Add a lavender sprig, plantain leaves or other herb in this step
- Cover with olive oil or other carrier oil of choice
- Turn heat on the candle warmer for 4 hours or let sit in a sunny location for 3 or 4 weeks. I have left it overnight on the warmer too.
- Filter out flowers
- Pour infused oil into Quart jar
- Add 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Add 1/3 cup natural bees wax pastilles
- Heat until everything goes into solution or overnight
- You can add an essential oil at this step. I have used about 3 or 4 drops lavender oil .
- If your eyes are sensitive to scents I would leave out the above step if you are using the lotion on your face. I’m very sensitive to miniscule amounts of scents so I leave it out.
- Pour into small bottles or containers
Calendula salve has many healing properties when used on the skin, especially combined with plantain leaves. Both soothe cuts and abrasions but the salve or lotion is excellent to use everyday for a facial or body lotion.
Enjoy! Give some to your family and friends. Until next time.